MUSSELSHELL RANCH WIFE

LIFE OF A RANCH WIFE, LIVING ON THE MUSSELSHELL, TRYING TO FIND TIME TO PAINT

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The three Crisnott fields



I took this photograph of one of our fields called the Crisnott. I had quite a time with the colors. Here I am in the dead of winter just begging for a little color in my life. I took the photo in the fall so I thought the fall colors would cheer me up. I struggled with all kinds of things in this project.

This is the first one I attempted. I was going for strong color in the distant trees, the perspective in the field and the border of weeds at this end of the field. I hate the color of the distant hills, and felt that the color in the back trees was a bit too strong. I like how the front drops away from the end of the field. I also noticed that the strong red line in the foreground led the eye right out of the painting.
I like the sky better in No.2. I moved the vanishing point of the field away from dead center. I also toned down the distant trees, and changed the distant hills to a grey blue. I also broke up the red line.
This third and final attempt was just a fun loose very quick attempt at the same field. I wet the whole paper, let it set for a bit and started dropping in the colors, letting them blend. I went back to a bit stronger colors. This was just pure fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment